When the COP26 would have been running last year (2020), over 330 youth delegates representing over 140 countries gathered online at Mock COP26. It was a powerful statement showing the ambition and dreams of young people worldwide fighting for a fair, equal and green world. The conference culminated with a global declaration to world leaders with 18 ambitious, yet realistic policies covering 6 important themes; climate education, climate justice, climate-resilient livelihoods, physical and mental health, nationally determined contributions and biodiversity. Mock COP delegates are now mobilising a movement of young people globally to campaign for their leaders to show this ambition and implement parts of our treaty.
Mock COP is now in Phase 2 of its activity, goals for phase 2 are:
- 30 countries agree to implement one or more policy commitment from the Mock COP26
treaty before, or immediately after, COP26
- secure ambitious outcomes at COP26 by influencing delegations and getting a strong
youth presence in both the green (outer) and blue (inner) zones, including in
- ensure COP26 delivers a strong commitment to climate education
- build an impressive list of individuals and organisations publicly supporting individual
policy asks from the Mock COP26 treaty
- create a network of climate activists actively collaborating on policy implementation
centred on the Mock COP26 treaty
- get Phase 2-related press coverage in at least 20 countries in 2021.